TALL STRUCTURES NEAR BWI AND MTN
For more information on construction of tall structures near Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI Marshall) or Martin State Airport (MTN), please visit the Maryland Aviation Administration Airport Zoning Permit website.
TALL STRUCTURES OTHER THAN BWI AND MTN
In order to protect and preserve the viability of the State’s air transportation system, the Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Aviation Administration is authorized to review any proposal to construct tall structures within the imaginary periphery of any public-use airport. Reference the Code of Maryland Regulations 11.03.05, Obstructions to Air Navigation, for more information and reporting criteria.
Both the MAA and Federal Aviation Administration are required to be notified of any proposed construction that meets the criteria of COMAR 11.03.05 and Federal Aviation Regulation Part 77, respectively. Completion of FAA Form 7460-1, with a copy to MAA, will initiate an airspace analysis by the FAA and MAA. Please allow for a 30 day period for review/determination by MAA. The MAA will notify the proponent of the conclusions within a reasonable time, so long as appropriate information is submitted.
Use the following map/address locator to determine if your development project or construction equipment is proposed within any Airport Zoning District or Airport Obstruction Zone.
Directions for Use:
- Enter the proposed structure height in feet (measured above ground level) in the Enter Structure Height textbox (in the upper left corner of the map below).
- Find the site location in one of two ways:
- Enter a street address or place of interest into the Find Site by Address textbox (in the upper left corner of the map below).
- Enable map clicks by toggling the switch in the lower left corner of the map below. Zoom to the location in the map and click on the location of the project site.
- Confirm the site location in the result pop-up. If the site is incorrect, restart.
- Follow the instructions in the result dialog.
Should you require additional information or assistance please contact: